Re: [Membership] The People's Republic of ICANN?

Please refer to http://www.icann.org/membership-com.html

>Could we please hear from each MAC member how he/she voted on this issue
>and why?

See http://www.dkaplan.net/macmodel.htm (or follow the link from
http://cyber.law.harvard.edu/mac/bbtop.htm, where several models are
discussed).

I started with a vision similar to yours, ie, members are (at least in
priority) direct "users" of ICANN's services, i.e. IP Address and Domain
Names holders.

I was convinced by the public discussions that we had no right to prevent
others to participate. I'm still not sure why on earth they would do so,
but it does not mean I feel entitled to prevent anyone from participating
if he/she so desires.

Now, we are not creating the world government. So I still believe:

1/ That ICANN should be very proactive in getting domain names and IP
address holders to be members. This could take several forms, for instance,
free (although voluntary) membership registration, the fees being included
in the DN/IPA registration fees.

2/ That there should be some fee for anyone to join, so as to discourage
excessive fraud as well as people whose interest is not high enough.

Daniel
** Les eLectrophées  -  trophées du commerce électronique  -  19/3/99
** http://www.finances.gouv.fr/mission_commerce_electronique/trophees
Daniel Kaplan                            Consultant
dkaplan@terra-nova.fr        http://www.dkaplan.net
5, rue de la Véga    -   75012 Paris    -    France
Tel +33 (0)1 5333 8881       Fax +33 (0)1 5333 8882