Re: [Membership] The People's Republic of ICANN?

Daniel and all,

Daniel Kaplan wrote:

> A 17:17 11/02/99 -0000, Dr Nii Quaynor a écrit :
> >>My own suggestion: no classes.  Only people as members.  Anyone coming up
> >>with the initiation fee and the necessary identification can be a member.
>
> There are 3 suggestions there, which should be analyzed separately:
>
> - Everyone can join, provided they come up with, etc. As I said in an
> earlier message, although I was more inclined to limiting membership to
> domain names and IP address holders in the beginning, I now tend to agree.
>
> - Only people as members. I disagree. Most end-users of domain names and IP
> address (at least for now) are corporations, associations, public-service
> agencies, etc. I'm not talking about Internet professionals, but all others
> who have no reason to join SOs, but want to have a say as users. Letting
> their employees join (although it should and can not be prevented) is not
> the same, because (i) Organizations are not just sums of individuals and
> (ii) There is some hypocrisy in presenting one's position as personal while
> it is in reality that of one's organization. Organizations have to be
> allowed to join as members.

  Is it your contention Daniel that most individuals are members of
organizations, companies, ect.?  If so, on what basis are you making
this assertion?  Please be detailed.

  Why must organizations be allowed to join as members?  What is the
logical justification?  How is this contention in line with the White Paper?

> - No classes. As siegfired has repeatedly pointed out, there are advantages
> and drawbacks to that. If there are no classes, those constituencies which
> have less members will not be heard, but also, capture by an active
> minority is easier. If there are, we face the problem of determining which
> are those classes, how many votes they get... And we build in inter-class
> conflict.

  If there are not classes of membership (Constituencies) as a part of the
structure of a membership Organization, how than would there be a less
"Heard" situation be possible?  Please be specific in your answer, as this
seems to be less than obvious.

> So my suggestion(s) is/are: No classes. Individuals and organizations can
> be members and get one vote each. Anyone coming up with the initiation fee
> and the necessary identification can be a member.

  Whom determines how much the initiation fee should be?  How is this
initiation fee determined? What and whom are the ones that determine
what is necessary identification?  Who sets this criterion?

> And I add: be especially proactive towards the 1st-level end-users of
> ICANN, ie, domain names and IP address holders. Create a way though which
> they can join ICANN at the same time as they register. Include fees in
> registration. Mail them an offer to become members as soon as registration
> is taken into account.

  Whom and how are the registration requirements determined?  What is
the criterion?