Re: [Membership] The People's Republic of ICANN?

A 17:36 11/02/99 +0000, jeff Williams a écrit :
>  Is it your contention Daniel that most individuals are members of
>organizations, companies, ect.?  If so, on what basis are you making
>this assertion?  Please be detailed.

No, it is not. This is why I support letting individuals as well as
organizations join.

>  Why must organizations be allowed to join as members?  What is the
>logical justification?

See my previous message in answer to Karl Auerbach.

> How is this contention in line with the White Paper?

Please provide me with the quotations that say what I support is not.

>  If there are not classes of membership (Constituencies) as a part of the
>structure of a membership Organization, how than would there be a less
>"Heard" situation be possible?  Please be specific in your answer, as this
>seems to be less than obvious.

Please note that in the end, I'm skeptical about classes of membership in
ICANN. However:
(1) I know this is politically incorrect, but there is such a thing as
affirmative action, in several fields, because in some cases, the majority
abuses the minority; Or an active and dominant, more mobilized minority
abuses the less vocal majority.
(2) Suppose registries had no other way of being heard than joining ICANN's
at large membership (this is just an example). There are far, far less
registries (or even registry employees) than there are users. They would
have a legitimate claim to become a class, perhaps not to rule the game,
but at least to have some weight in it.

>  Whom determines how much the initiation fee should be?  How is this
>initiation fee determined? What and whom are the ones that determine
>what is necessary identification?  Who sets this criterion?
>  Whom and how are the registration requirements determined?  What is
>the criterion?

These are legitimate questions to which I don't have a definitive answers,
otherwise I would have posted them.
I could answer the "whom?" questions by saying: "Isn't it what we're trying
to figure out in this list?"

In posts which can be found on the Berkman center's "models" page, I
advocated the following, which I admit requires more detail:

- Registration is online.
- Registration requires:
  · Physical (not verified, but verifiable in case of a claim)
    and Internet address.
  · Payment of fees.
- Fees:
  · Individual: de minimis (but not zero).
  · Corporations: more significant.
  . Associations, NGOs: low.
  · Modulated according to countries' per capita income.

Daniel

** Les eLectrophées  -  trophées du commerce électronique  -  19/3/99
** http://www.finances.gouv.fr/mission_commerce_electronique/trophees
Daniel Kaplan                            Consultant
dkaplan@terra-nova.fr        http://www.dkaplan.net
5, rue de la Véga    -   75012 Paris    -    France
Tel +33 (0)1 5333 8881       Fax +33 (0)1 5333 8882