Re: [Membership] The People's Republic of ICANN?

A 18:29 11/02/99 -0500, Bob Allisat a écrit :
>Daniel Kaplan writes:
>+ So my suggestion(s) is/are: No classes. Individuals and organizations
>+ can be members and get one vote each. Anyone coming up with the
>+ initiation fee and the necessary identification can be a member.
>
> I'll just form a thousand dummy companies
> each with their own membership all paid up.
> Presto, I own the Internet or a reasonable
> facsimile thereof. Doesn't work. Will never
> work. Is undemocratic and basically evil.

We won't make any progress if you believe anyone who disagrees with you is
basically evil.
Doing what you say you'll do (of course, I understand you just provided
this as an example of what "one" could do):
(1) Is fairly evil
(2) Is rather costly and probably dumb. I doubt anyone will have the
incentive to do this in order to stuff ballots in ther election of ICANN's
At Large directors. This is granting too much influence to ICANN, as well
as supposing the number of members is so low that forming a thousand
companies is enough to take over tha At Large membership. Making fraud
useless and expensive is a good way to prevent it from happening.
(3) Getting all your employees to join ICANN (and forcing them to vote as
you want them to) is more efficient, even more if you're a large company.
So the bias towards large organizations is even stronger if only
individuals can vote.

> I would never join an organization none of my
> friends and neighbours could participate  in.
> I am not one of the elite nor do I consider my-
> self in any way special or exceptional. Just
> one of the one hundred million, Daniel. One.

Where on earth did I write ICANN should prevent your friends and neighbours
from joining???

Daniel
** Les eLectrophées  -  trophées du commerce électronique  -  19/3/99
** http://www.finances.gouv.fr/mission_commerce_electronique/trophees
Daniel Kaplan                            Consultant
dkaplan@terra-nova.fr        http://www.dkaplan.net
5, rue de la Véga    -   75012 Paris    -    France
Tel +33 (0)1 5333 8881       Fax +33 (0)1 5333 8882