RE: [Membership] Re: [IFWP] COMMENTS ON M.A.C.RECOMMENDATIONS of MARCH 18

Finally a voice of reason.  I have looked at this discussion for days and have kept silent.  This post, coupled with the legal (albeit sarcastic) review of the effects of currently proposed membership issues really gets to the heart of this debate.

****** The legal and sarcastic
Okay. No exclusionary definition of the At large membership, that is, all the world can join. Two: no membership dues, that is, no legal contract between the members and the organization. Three: no voting mechanism defined in the bylaws, nothing that says how candidates are chosen, how they are elected.
*****

So what is it going to be, an At Large membership with no dues, no legal contract between members and the organization, and no voting membership.  Sounds unreasonable to me.  How about a membership with dues and a mechanism to petition for a due waiver in extreme hardship cases????  I know this places and administrative burden on the organization, but if the requirements are strict enough few will apply,.  Further, I know some will say that this will create an exclusionary block to some members - there are greater issues having to do with propriety and appropriateness.  In this type of an organization there are good and bad ways to proceed.

Dues will separate out those that are casual observers from those that have a real interest in the work of this organization.

Michael Gendron
Lecturer
State University of New York at Albany
Mgendron@gcstech.com