Information about London
London, the capital city of England and the United Kingdom, has more than 2000 years of history. Nowadays it is considered one of the most important cities in the world, becoming a leading financial and cultural metropolis.
Heathrow airport is easily accessible by both private and public transport. Explore the options below to find out which method of getting to Heathrow is best for you. Rail, Coach and Bus are the options availables
Oyster card: Oyster is a plastic smartcard you can use instead of paper tickets. You can put Travelcards, Bus & Tram season tickets and pay as you go credit on it. Oyster is the cheapest way to pay for single journeys on bus, Tube, tram, DLR, London Overground and most National Rail services in London.
BUS:The central bus station is located between Terminals 1, 2 and 3 is open 24 hours and is well sign posted. It is a few minutes walk from the terminals via underground walkways. From Terminal 4 and 5 you can catch a free Heathrow Connect of Heathrow Express service to the Central Bus Station. The travel centre at the central bus station opens from 06:00 to 22:30 and provides full details of all services.National Express is the only direct connection between Heathrow and Heathrow airports and runs 100 services a day. They also operate a Hotel Hoppa which serves 21 hotels around Heathrow Airport for just £4 each way door to door, from all terminals and the Central Bus Station.
Heathrow Express is the fastest way from Heathrow to central London. Their non-stop trains speed you from terminal to city centre in just 15 minutes. Experience airport transfers the easy way, with departures every 15 minutes and tickets available online or on your mobile phone.Their wireless internet service is free throughout the train, throughout the journey. Need to make a call? You’ll find an uninterrupted mobile signal throughout your journey, even when the train is in a tunnel.
TUBE:Heathrow has three stations on London Underground’s Piccadilly Line, one for Terminals 1, 2 & 3, one for Terminal 4 and the newly opened Terminal 5. Heathrow Terminals 1, 2, 3 station is located between the terminals, only a few minutes’ walk via underground walkways. Terminal 4 and Terminal 5 stations are situated in the basements of the terminal buildings.The average journey time to central London is about 50 – 60 minutes. Tubes run every five minutes at peak times and every nine minutes at off-peak times and weekends. It takes an additional five minutes to reach Terminals 1, 2 & 3. These times are subject to change – it is normally advisable to check with London Transport before travelling. During the night, the N9 bus connects Heathrow with central London every 30 minutes.Full details of timetables and fares are available from London Transport.
For more information, please visit: http://london50.icann.org/en/info
June is one of the hottest month in London with an average temperature of 19°C (66.2°F) with the most daily sunshine hours at 8, being January the coldest at 7°C (44.6°F). Since it is a warm weather, humidity is low, and the well known “London Fog” isn’t very usual in that time.
If you like to have some typical British dishes make sure you try Fish and Chips (preferably in a pub for authenticity), Curry, the 5 o’clock tea (always with scones), Sunday Roast, a Full English Breakfast, Yorkshire pudding, Cottage Pie.
If you want something in particular, you can access http://www.lastminute.com/site/entertainment/restaurants/ or http://www.visitlondon.com/things-to-do/activities/food-and-drink
Estimated schedules can be seen in https://community.icann.org/display/atlarge/ATLAS+II+Sub-Working+Group%3A+Events
Modifications might be made.
For accommodation outside of the venue check here. More official information will be available after, Singapure’s Meeting.
225 Edgware Road, London W2 1JU, United Kingdom Tel: 44-207-402-4141
- Discover a revolutionized arrival experience at Hilton London Metropole Hotel, a contemporary central London hotel, located just a 10-minute walk from the West End and Oxford Street. Enjoy a 10-minute tube ride to London Westfield Shopping Centre from this hotel.
- Rates: Classic Single Room : GBP 198.-Rate includes Tax
- Cancellation policy: No penalty up to 5 days prior to arrival date / 1 night penalty if cancel 4 days and less prior to arrival date
Booking Deadline: 7 May 2014 (if booking from the ICANN website)
- Hilton London Metropole is located just 15 minutes from Heathrow Airport via the Heathrow Express at Paddington Station, and 10 minutes from the Eurostar terminal at St Pancras international. Located just outside the congestion charge zone, the hotel is also just 10 minutes from many of London’s major shopping areas, including Oxford Street, Westfield London Shopping Centre, Regent Street, Bond Street and Knightsbridge.
- How to get here from the Airport:
- From Heathrow Airport take the 15-minutes Heathrow Express to London Paddington, where taxis are available to take you directly to the Hilton London Metropole. The taxi ride from Paddington to the hotel forecourt takes 2 minutes. (Distance from Hotel:18 miles, Drive time: 60 min, Taxi fare: 65.00 GBP)
- From Gatwick Airport take the 30-minute Gatwick Express to London Victoria, where there is a direct underground line to Edgware Road station, directly opposite to the Hilton London Metropole hotel. (Distance from Hotel:35 miles, Drive time:75 min. Taxi fare: 85.00 GBP)
- From Stansted Airport take the 45-minute Stansted Express to London Liverpool Street, where there is a direct underground line to Edgware Road station, directly opposite of the Hilton London Metropole hotel. (Distance from Hotel:48 miles, Drive time:75 min. Taxi fare: 85.00 GBP)
http://www.tfl.gov.uk/assets/downloads/standard-tube-map.pdf – you will also be able to get them from free from any tube station