Re: [Membership] Re: Individual Memberships

A 19:25 14/02/99 -0500, Michael Sondow a écrit :
>Daniel Kaplan makes a proposal that has a false premise. He says "I
>would not like ICANN to be sponsored by firms." The premise is that
>ICANN is not yet sponsored by firms. This is false. The GIP firms
>are sponsoring it.
>
>Recently, a call was put out by one of the GIP organizers (I forget
>who, maybe Vincent Cerf) for more money from the GIP member firms
>for ICANN. Daniel Kaplan says he wouldn't like ICANN to have
>corporate sponsoring. I'd like to know what he has to say to the
>present corporate sponsoring.
>
>Will Mr. Kaplan reply?

Why wouldn't I reply?

1/ I was personnally not aware of how ICANN was financed until the recent
exchange of messages.

2/ To me, the way ICANN has been financed from October 1998 until now is a
slightly different issue: since there has been no real provision on
funding, I don't know how ICANN could do otherwise in the very short run.
But I agree it should not last.

Daniel
** Les eLectrophées  -  trophées du commerce électronique  -  19/3/99
** http://www.finances.gouv.fr/mission_commerce_electronique/trophees
Daniel Kaplan                            Consultant
dkaplan@terra-nova.fr        http://www.dkaplan.net
5, rue de la Véga    -   75012 Paris    -    France
Tel +33 (0)1 5333 8881       Fax +33 (0)1 5333 8882