Re: [Membership] The real reason language is not the issue

I hope it won't take *that* long to have our first elections....

Esther

At 05:35 PM 16/02/99 -0800, Kent Crispin wrote:
>On Mon, Feb 15, 1999 at 11:56:50PM -0600, Eric Weisberg wrote:
>>

>> Esther Dyson wrote:
>> >
>> > Other comments, especially from those non-native-English speakers (who of
>> > course are not the non-ENglish speakers who are not on this list)?
>>
>> The question is whether the IFWP (list, attendees at meetings and
>> anyone else who cares to join) should form the nucleus of ICANN's
>> membership (a "jump start"),
>
>Has anyone seriously suggested this?  That would be completely nuts.
>The IFWP is not an organization; there is no coherent list of
>members; some of the entities on the mailing list are clearly
>fabrications.
>
>I consider legal existence, either as a natural person or as a
>legally sanctioned entity such as a corporation, as an absolutely
>basic requirement for membership.  There are issues of enforcement
>and verification that must be resolved, but the basic principle seems
>to me essential.
>
>Moreover, there is no need for a "jump-start" as you seem to mean.
>It should be clear that a substantial time must elapse between the
>opening of membership and the first election -- on the order of 6
>months, at least.
>
>As well, there needs to be a defined transition process -- there are
>verification mechanisms that need to be established; the empty
>Article II of the bylaws needs to be drafted; people must be selected
>to operate the initial verification (these people are probably *not*
>the initial members); voting mechanisms need to be established, etc
>etc etc.
>
>--
>Kent Crispin, PAB Chair				"Do good, and you'll be
>kent@songbird.com				lonesome." -- Mark Twain

Esther Dyson			Always make new mistakes!
chairman, EDventure Holdings
interim chairman, Internet Corp. for Assigned Names & Numbers
edyson@edventure.com
1 (212) 924-8800
1 (212) 924-0240 fax
104 Fifth Avenue (between 15th and 16th Streets; 20th floor)
New York, NY 10011 USA
http://www.edventure.com

PC Forum:  21 to 24 March 1999, Scottsdale (Phoenix), Arizona
High-Tech Forum in Europe:  24 to 26 October 1999, Budapest
Book:  "Release 2.0: A design for living in the digital age"