Re: [Membership] Density Representation

Yes, I agree.  Geographic diversity is good. Geographic
categorization/sterreotyping is bad.  (Paul, you can sleep on my floor
anytime!<g>)

esther

At 11:59 AM 17/02/99 -0500, Paul Stauffer wrote:

>>would not be necessary for the candidate to come from that pool.  So
>>Thai voters could elect someone from Finland as their representative, if
>>they preferred.  But no one from Finland could vote on the candidate for
>>the low-density pool.
>
>Personally, I am not comfortable with the idea of regionalizing the
>directorships, such that individual directors would be elected by, and
>would represent a constituency of a specific geographic region.  I think
>this is a significant alteration of the intentions of the international
>representation requirements of the ICANN bylaws.  I feel that it is
>important that the at-large board members be elected by the membership as a
>whole.  Several established electoral mechanisms have already been
>suggested which could be used to ensure compliance with Article V Section 6
>without having to resort to rules like: "Oh, you're African?  Well, _you_
>need to vote for the *African* representative."
>
>- Paul
>
>--
>Paul Stauffer, MCSE
>Systems Analyst/Administrator       ----====<< Quotes 'R' Us >>====----
>Boston University                 ---==<< http://quotes-r-us.org/ >>==---
><paulds@bu.edu>

Esther Dyson			Always make new mistakes!
chairman, EDventure Holdings
interim chairman, Internet Corp. for Assigned Names & Numbers
edyson@edventure.com
1 (212) 924-8800
1 (212) 924-0240 fax
104 Fifth Avenue (between 15th and 16th Streets; 20th floor)
New York, NY 10011 USA
http://www.edventure.com

PC Forum:  21 to 24 March 1999, Scottsdale (Phoenix), Arizona
High-Tech Forum in Europe:  24 to 26 October 1999, Budapest
Book:  "Release 2.0: A design for living in the digital age"