indigenous polities and constituency politics

This comment proposes some interesting ideas, but fundamentally it confuses the process of *forming constituencies to run the DNSO* with the process of
*setting policy toward new TLDs*. Basically, it proposes to create a new kind of TLD. This is an objective that I strongly support. But the creation of
any kind of new TLD--whether it be a gTLD or an i-TLD (where i = indigenous polities) -- is a policy decision that will have to wait for the DNSO to be
formed. And how will the DNSO be formed, you ask? By creating the so-called constituencies, which will elect people to the Names Council.

Further analysis of this problem underscores why there are serious and disturbing flaws in the idea of running the DNSO on the basis of pretedermined
"constituencies." The constituency model is based on advancing and protecting the interests of EXISTING stakeholders (ccTLDs, Trademark interests,
etc.). Mr. Brunner, on the other hand, is arguing for the interests of a TLD constituency that could and probably should exist, but does not exist yet.
As such, his group has no standing in the DNSO's formation. The constituency model of governance is responsive only to those organized interests that
currently have a foothold in the DNS or in the ICANN process.

That decision, however, seems to have been made already.
Accepting the vicissitudes of practical politics, I would recommend that your group link up with a DNSO constituency that is most likely to be
sensitive and responsive to the needs of your group. To my mind, that would be the so-called "non-commercial domain name holders" constituency. It
appears as if your activities are non-commercial, and it also is pretty clear that that constituency is going to be more hospitable to the kinds of
arguments and claims you are making than, say, the IP constituency or the ccTLD or so-called "gTLD" constituency.

--Milton Mueller