UDRP Comments

To: ICANN Board
From: John M. Jacobs, Esq. <jjesq@hotmail.com>
Re: Comments on September 29, 1999 UDRP Draft

Thank you for the opportunity to comment on this Policy and for providing
prompt access to the comments of others. By way of disclosure, I am writing
as an individual but regularly represent the interests of a multinational
corporation known by a coined service mark.

I believe that the UDRP fails to address the major shortcoming of the
present NSI dispute resolution model, which is the incentive it creates to
arbitrage domain names. When a trademark owner is able to convince a
Provider that a registrant has acted in bad faith and without colorable
claim of rights in a domain name, the owner will generally have incurred far
more cost than the bad faith registrant due to the high burdens of proof in
the mandatory administrative proceeding in sec. 4(b) and the allocation of
fees in sec. 4(g). Therefore, a trademark owner has economic incentive to
settle with a bad faith registrant for an amount less than the difference in
the parties' predicted dispute costs.

I suggest that the UDRP provide that registrants found to have registered an
identical or confusingly similar domain name, without colorable right and in
bad faith be liable for all the trademark owner's costs, including Provider
fees, out-of-pocket expenses and attorney's fees. This would remove
potential bad faith registrants' incentive to arbitrage domain names without
effecting the rights of innocent or good faith registrants.