[Comment-Dnso] Re: Reply to Hurtado

Michael,

As you referred to the organization I work for, I am answering. My answer
also includes not only information, but also opinions, that I would not
have expressed otherwise, as this constituency is not my business.

First of all, I think that, instead of feeling hurt, you folks should
strongly reconsider your position, because otherwise it will be impossible
for ICANN to accept your constituency. I believe that not searching openly
for founding members, and allowing them to comment before May 3rd has been
the worst mistake. You might still have time to do so if you rush it, but
time passes very very quickly.

I see an important problem with your mail. You believe that it is up to you
to decide who you invite, and judge on their size and importance, instead
of following an open and transparent process, solicitating publicly for
founding members. Even if ASIMELEC represented only one and half ISPs
(definitely not the case), to ICANN it has the same rights are EuroISPA. If
you forget this, you make things very difficult for ICANN.

I find of very poor taste and unacceptable your uncalled for flame and
personal attacks on somebody who comments on the ISP charter, as hard as
this comment might be. It would be much more positive to say how you are
going to resolve the problems that have been pointed out.

I would like to continue by refreshing your memory on several issues:

On Spain, EuroISPA, and representativity.

- AUI participated in the early efforts to create EuroISPA (May 26th, 1997
meeting in Brussels), but decided, publically, that it was not the right
parter, as it does not represent ISPs. It has never claimed to do so.

- EuroISPA decided to acquire as Spanish partner an organisation that
represents less than 1% of Spanish traffic. Bringing this to your attention
only brought agresiveness and vague promises to look for the right member
which never became true.

- ISPA Spain, a non-incorporated forum, was formed by all associations that
at that time represented Spanish ISPs, as a lobbying forum to assure that
their voice was independently heard in the Commission, at to clarify that
EuroISPA did not represent any signinficant part of Spanish ISP interests.
Your Spanish partner was invited and never showed up. It was created AFTER
you announced your partner in Spain.

- After a paper from EuroISPA was presented to the Commission, the legal
spanish government representative officially questioned EuroIPSA having any
representativity.

- ASIMELEC probably represents now over 90% of Spanish traffic and over 98%
of Spanish traffic that is related to any association. It is the
association the government negotiates with when something has to be
negotiated with ISPs. But again, this is not the issue. They issue is that
they are an ISP association that has been excluded from the founding
members that have all the power in the charter that you have sent.

On Manuel Hurtado,

- Manuel participated  in the July 7th, 1999 meeting in Brussels, where he
questioned the representativity of EuroISPA for any matters related to ISPs.

- I don't know what is the status, but at that time I requested from you
that he be added to the European Panel of Participants list.

- He is the person who informs Spanish ISPs and government of developments
on Internet Governance.

ISPs are not my business... but on the document that you have presented, I
cannot but agree that:

- It has been sent on the limit deadline, without any request for public
comments before submission time.

- It gives illimited power to the founding organisations, and there is no
opening for adding any other founding organisations. It is deeply
undemocratic.

- I did not understand very well Manuel's comment and I have not had the
time to think about it in detail, alll I can say is that the requirements
for single ISPs are unclear and subjective, open to interpretation by the
founding  members.

Javier