RE: [IFWP] The Sims-Auerbach Correspondence (was: The CPT- ICANN Correspondence

Karl Auerbach wrote:

> And let's be clear about this -- this now means that the ICANN board, if
> it wanted to, has the power to reach into things like protocol parameter
> assignments.  ICANN's board, could, for example, change a UDP or TCP port
> assignment or it could refuse to grant an algorithm ID for an encryption
> protocol it doesn't like.   Yes, that's unlikely, but the potential power
> is there.

As in my argument with Richard regarding the addition of new TLDs to the
root, I can't see anything like this happening without significant support
from the Internet community, not just the technical community but people
who use the protocols.

I think it's worth asking questions like "under what conditions would the
Internet community be likely to go along with an ICANN proposal?"

--gregbo