Re: [ga] Agenda proposal

Michael and all.

  Michael you pose some interesting points here..  Further elaboration
on some of those points stated/discussed below...

Michael Froomkin wrote:

> Ok.  I'll try again.
>
> I assumed from your question that you were asking whether such a small
> group could reasonably claim recognition on behalf of all the
> individuals potentially eligible to join the constituency.  This is, I
> would think, a reasonable question, indeed one that might be
> generalized.
>
> I was wondering, therefore, whether other constituencies, which were
> recognized, had numbers sufficient to blunt a similar query.

  I guess this depends on your interpretation of the term "Recognized"
and by whom.   Are you referring to the ICANN (Initial?) Interim Board
or are you referring to those members of those potential "Constituencies"
or other organizations?  Clarity here is of the most paramount of
importance, I would think....

> I do not
> recall this question being raised a the time, so I presume that the
> numbers are indeed large, as there are for example so many millions of
> trademark holders, and commercial interests.  [In some cases, trade
> associations are members, which provides one type of representation,
> albeit at a remove.] But I don't know that, and was hoping for
> confirmation of that fact; so far no one has offered it (it may be in
> the archive somewhere, but I'm on vacation and my connectivity is
> expensive and poor right now).
>
> None of this, I insist, should be read as an expression of support or
> opposition to the recognition of IDNO, a subject on which I do not
> express opinion.  Rather, it is curiosity about the legitimacy of the
> other constituencies.  Or, if you prefer, the relative legitimacy of
> them, sparked by the original message in this thread.

  How and whom, again determines the "Legitimacy" of any proposed
constituency?  The ICANN (Initial?) Interim Board, or the membership
of the ICANN itself, or is it possible that the members of that potential
Constituency make that determination themselves?  Again, clarity
is of paramount of importance here, I would think....

> I also express no opinion on how the participants in the IDNO wars
> should spend their time.

  Wars?  To what precisely do you refer to??

> I will say this much.  As those of us on the ICANN Watch site,
> http://www.icannwatch.org , keep saying, ICANN suffers from a legitimacy
> deficit at present.  The absence of some means of representing the views
> of ordinary domain name holders combined with the questionable desire to
> make "technical" decisions that go to matters of legal rights in a
> domain name rather than mere routing and allocation, are serious
> problems for the organization.

  ICANN suffers form many beginnings of legitimacy, not just ordinary or
individual domain name holders, as we all know so well...