Re: [IDNO-DISCUSS] RE: What if ICANN implodes?

Roeland and all,

  Whether or not the ICANN is non-profit or for profit is of little
consequence, although Roeland is correct that non-profits have
a more difficult time getting "Seed Capitol" adequate enough to
get them through the initial stages.  However ICANN was not in this
position from the very beginning..  Again  see:
http://www.ntia.doc.gov/ntiahome/domainname/proposals/ineginc/ineginc.htm
for further details...

Roeland M.J. Meyer wrote:

> [...]

WOW! Add that to the ~$600,000 they started with and they've spent
$1.4MUS, in 11 months (~$128KUS, per month), and still no data center.
The other question is who did they borrow the money from? I accept that
they could be self-funding, but at this level?

I have long-since stipulated that there are many practical reasons that
a non-profit wouldn't work, to manage a privatized Internet. One of them
is that non-profits have an abysmal track-record in collecting the funds
they need to start up. It is usually done with a large donor-infusion,
upfront. ICANN doesn't have that (not enough, anyway).

> Ester Dyson, when questioned on how the organization "keeps
> going" said,
> "we're doing what any good compnay does: manage cash flow."
> At which point,
> she was asked, "do you have any cash flowing?"
>
> "Some," she said.

>From personal check-book to ICANN coffers? Scarey thought.

> But basically, she made it sound like everyone is footing
> their own bill and racking up unpaid expenses.

This is less than good.

> ICANN has STILL not filed its 501(c)3 papers, Roberts said,
> but they are
> doing that soon.  Roberts, I believe, said that the IRS wants to see a
> financial statement first, which now that I recall, isn't correct.

Absolut! Part of the tax filing IS a financial disclosure. I wonder who
they have cooking their books? CPA's typically want cash upfront.

> Anyway, they now have a financial statement, which they consider
> confidential because it wasn't disclosed in public yesterday (at the
> hearing).  From what Roberts said, the financial picture isn't pretty.

>From information that is available, a cash-picture estimate is certainly
possible (I just did one), on a rough scale.

It's too late now, but iff ICANN had formed as a for-profit DE corp, as
was suggested in Sep98, they'd have had Venture funding (VC) a long time
ago. It's a natural infrastructure play and that's what's selling to the
VC right now, as we speak. However, their well is now poisoned, IMHO.
Even if they reformed the ICANN corp, there are very few VC that would
give money to that crowd. The fact that they were stupidly stubborn
enough to even insist on the track they are on, is telling. Their only
hope for rescue is the USG. I may be wrong, but I don't think so.

-
This message was sent via the IDNO-DISCUSS mailing list. To unsubscribe,
send a message containing the line "unsubscribe idno-discuss" to
majordomo@idno.org. For more information, see http://www.idno.org/

Contact Number:  972-447-1894