[Membership] Re: Fees/contributions

[was: Re: [Membership] The People's Republic of ICANN?]

A 14:47 06/02/99 -0800, Greg Skinner a écrit :
>>I like the idea of a contribution instead of a fee, for non-domain name
>>holders who want to join, with a minimum of, say, one dollar.
>
>These ideas seem reasonable to me.

Well, I don't know:

1- If one really wants to participate, the reason why the minimum
contribution should be that low (at least for developped countries'
standards; fees or contribution obviously need to be modulated depending on
each country's per capita income) is not obvious.

2- The cost of collecting such low amounts is higher than the contribution
itself. Not to mention the cost-per-member of voting procedures.

3- If we want to prevent massive fraud, having somewhat higher
fees/contributions is probably one of the most feasible ways.

However, this should not mean the (minimal) amount should be set too high.
But which is the right level?

Daniel
** Les eLectrophées  -  trophées du commerce électronique  -  19/3/99
** http://www.finances.gouv.fr/mission_commerce_electronique/trophees
Daniel Kaplan                            Consultant
dkaplan@terra-nova.fr        http://www.dkaplan.net
5, rue de la Véga    -   75012 Paris    -    France
Tel +33 (0)1 5333 8881       Fax +33 (0)1 5333 8882