Re: Competition; was Re: [Membership] ICANN: The Issue of Membership---

Michael Sondow <msondow@iciiu.org> wrote:

>Greg Skinner a écrit:

>> I have suggested that individuals be encouraged to
>> register within the infrastructure of their ISP

>And become even more hostage to the ISP? This may be beneficial to
>ISPs, but it sure isn't to the individuals. If you don't have an SLD,
>your website isn't portable. Ergo, everyone's got to have an SLD. If
>people can't move freely from one ISP to another, competition and the
>free market are dead.

You cut off the rest of my message, in which I explicitly stated that
this is a temporary measure while the details of technology and policy
are sorted out.  I also stated it was a suggestion to prospective
domain registrants to consider signing up with their ISP or some other
web hosting service, not a requirement.

--gregbo