Re: [Membership] Fees for Organizations

I believe that paying is different from voting.  I don't see that paying equals
capture in the at-large where the individual members can easily (if they enroll in
large enough numbers) outnumber the organizational members.  Secondly, not all
organizations think alike.  They don't share the same interests and can even be
fiercely competitive.  I don't know that they will somehow vote as a block on any
particular issue, although it could happen.  Thirdly, permitting the at-large to be
a source of revenue for ICANN would tend to counterbalance the "revenue power" that
the SOs would have if they are the sole source of income.  The money has to come
from somewhere, but I would hope we can distribute it as evenly as possible so that
no one entity (one corporation, one major donor, etc.) is in a position to be a
financial dictator.

Diane Cabell
MAC