Re: DNS alert....

On Sun, 2 May 1999 13:14:29 -0400 kenlee@bellsouth.net wrote:
> Sounds like a great idea, people finally thinking outside the
> box......what's wrong with it?
>
> Ken Lee

Is this an official ICANN response?  I respectfully
request that you bring this issue to the attention of the
ICANN Board.  This is a very serious co-opting of both ICANN's
authority in domain name space and of the TLD space itself.

I can't think of anything right with it.  What's wrong with
it (simplifieddomains.com) is:

1) It creates and monopolizes _all_ currently allocated TLD space
with three digits - preventing any future three-digit TLDs.

2) It does so without recognized authority.

3) It does so for the exclusive use of _US_ Trademarks (which
are NOT unique).

4) It does so for the exclusive gain of one company.

5) It is technically unsound in that all the root servers for
the new scheme are in a single room at MAE-West!

All these add up to very grave consequences for both ICANN and
the Internet if unwitting DNS admins are forced by users and
marketeers to use this "revolutionary" system.  DNS admins
will look to ICANN for guidance on this.  If it becomes popular
and ICANN doesn't make a statement one way or the other...
you've lost all authority over the TLD space, three-digit or
otherwise.

...Barb