[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]
Re: Anti-cybersquatting Consumer Protection Act
- To: "John B. Reynolds" <john@REYNOLDS.CHICAGO.IL.US>, ICANN Comments <Comments@icann.org>
- Subject: Re: Anti-cybersquatting Consumer Protection Act
- From: Jeff Williams <email@example.com>
- Date: Tue, 22 Jun 1999 16:39:03 +0100
- CC: DOMAIN-POLICY@LISTS.INTERNIC.NET, IFWP Discussion List <firstname.lastname@example.org>, "email@example.com" <firstname.lastname@example.org>, "email@example.com" <firstname.lastname@example.org>, "Charles.Pickering@mail.house.gov" <Charles.Pickering@mail.house.gov>, "Jim.Wilson@mail.house.gov" <Jim.Wilson@mail.house.gov>, "Gil.Gutknecht@mail.house.gov" <Gil.Gutknecht@mail.house.gov>, "Rep.Morella@mail.house.gov" <Rep.Morella@mail.house.gov>, "email@example.com" <firstname.lastname@example.org>, "email@example.com" <firstname.lastname@example.org>
- Organization: INEG. Inc.
- References: <email@example.com> <firstname.lastname@example.org>
John and all,
John B. Reynolds wrote:
> Martin B. Schwimmer wrote:
> > (3) the identifier is not the defendant's legal first name or surname or
> > the defendant had not used the identifier in legitimate commerce before
> > earlier of either the first use of the registered trademark or the
> > effective date of its registration.
> So, in order to avoid a fine for registering one's own name, one would have
> to have "used the identifier in legitimate commerce" prior to its
> registration. This would effectively outlaw non-commercial personal domain
I don't agree. First, the bill does not specifically exclude the use of
personal non-commercial domain names such as those used by
US Senators and Congressmen. I significantly doubt that the
senate in particular would vote for such a bill if that was it's intent
or otherwise potential effect. Second, non-commercial domain names
are already in use now, to exclude them with such a meaning for this
bill, is not reasonable, and would not stand up in court. The Judiciary
committee will see this clearly, I am sure....
Jeffrey A. Williams
CEO/DIR. Internet Network Eng/SR. Java/CORBA Development Eng.
Information Network Eng. Group. INEG. INC.
Contact Number: 972-447-1894
Address: 5 East Kirkwood Blvd. Grapevine Texas 75208