Re: Registrars other than NSI (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Thu, 5 Aug 1999 09:25:58 -0400 (EDT)
From: up@3.am
To: list@inet-access.net
Subject: Re: Registrars other than NSI

On Wed, 4 Aug 1999, Jordyn A. Buchanan wrote:

> I notice a lot of complaints about NSI on the list, which has made me
> wonder over the last few days:  now that there are alternate
> registrars for the .COM, .NET and .ORG TLDs, why are people still
> using NSI?  Obviously, there's a lot of "legacy" domains, but why
> would you keep doing business with a company you hate so much when
> there are alternatives?
>
> (Note:  this message is dripping with self-interest as I just started
> working for register.com, but I am genuinely curious nonetheless.
> Call it "market research"...)

Because (AKAIK) none of them take email templates and they don't (AFAIK
again) don't honor the current InterNIC NIC handles.  Unless there's some
NSI license issue that keeps them from being able to do this, it would be
a very shrewd move to do both of these.

The old way, if a customer came to me with an existing domain, I only had
to submit a change template and wait for one of the contacts to ACK it.
Now (including with WorldNIC), I have to tell the customer what changes to
make.  A PITA.

If you don't do it already, it would also be a shrewd move to cut ISPs in
on some of the generous margin you make on what little you have to do, and
at a lower quantity commitment threshold than NSI requires.

If a registrar were to simply do these things, every domain I'd register
would go through them.

up@3.am							    http://3.am