Re: [names] New gTLDs

At 07:28 PM 9/23/99 , Jonathan Zittrain wrote:
>This list is for discussion of the issues, rather than attacks on fellow listmembers' motives and agendas--however justifiably attackable one may deem them.  This isn't the first email to cross that line in my view among the participants here, but it's the most recent.  Until the list moderating baton is passed to the student coordinator(s) who volunteered to inherit it, I ask all participants to refrain from accusing others of ill motives.
>
>Thanks.

Sorry,

For the benefit of the students, let me
try this once again . . .

This one topic is probably the most important,
and most divisive, in the entire DNS debate.
It is a question of business models, and it
speaks to the very essence of what this fight
is about -- control.

Historically, the Internet has experienced
phenomenal growth as a vehicle for *private*
resources to be interconnected, for the
benefit of all.

This system was first challenged with a
proposal known as the gTLD-MoU, the immediate
predecessor to ICANN.  The gTLD-MoU would have
declared the name space a "public resource",
which in turn, would change all names from
privately controlled, to publicly managed.

This *single* issue was hotly contested
during the MoU days.  It was a *major* reason
that the U.S. Government *had* to intervene
into the DNS Wars.

And after thousands of pages of suggestions,
and comments, and meetings, etc., etc., etc.,
the U.S. Government decided that there was
*NO* consensus on this issue.

To address this lack of consensus, the U.S.
Government eventually proposed the White Paper,
which was to use a consensus based, bottom-up
process to answer this question.

Yet, it appears that Mike has already made
his decision.  And once again, it is based
upon some nebulous declaration of community
consensus.

So, in closing, I challenge Mike to document
his claims that the question of Business models
has been decided, by documenting both public
comments, and the actual decision making
process.

Until he does this, his claims remain nothing
more than smoke and mirrors.

IMHO & FWIW!

Jay.