[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]
- To: ICANN <firstname.lastname@example.org>, Esther Dyson <email@example.com>, Mike Roberts <firstname.lastname@example.org>, George Conrades <email@example.com>, George Conrades <firstname.lastname@example.org>, Greg Crew <email@example.com>, Frank Fitzsimmons <firstname.lastname@example.org>, Hans Kraaijenbrink <H.Kraaijenbrink@kpn-telecom.nl>, Professor Jun Marai <email@example.com>, Geraldine Capdeboscq <firstname.lastname@example.org>, Eugenio Triana <email@example.com>, "Linda S. Wilson" <firstname.lastname@example.org>, Joe Sims <Joe_Sims@jonesday.com>
- Subject: Berlin
- From: Michael Sondow <email@example.com>
- Date: Tue, 04 May 1999 21:31:06 -0400
- CC: Al Gore <firstname.lastname@example.org>, Chip Pickering <Charles.Pickering@mail.house.gov>, Connie Morella <Rep.Morella@mail.house.gov>, Tamar Frankel <email@example.com>, Thomas Davis <firstname.lastname@example.org>, Gil Gutknecht <email@example.com>, Eddie Bernice Johnson <firstname.lastname@example.org>, Jim Barcia <email@example.com>, Mark Harrington <Mark.Harrington@mail.house.gov>, Richard Russell <Richard.Russell@mail.house.gov>, Paul Scolese <firstname.lastname@example.org>, James Tierney <email@example.com>, William Daley <firstname.lastname@example.org>, Madeleine Albright <email@example.com>, Theresa Amato <amato@Essential.ORG>, Domain Policy <firstname.lastname@example.org>, Paris draft list <email@example.com>, James Love <firstname.lastname@example.org>, Jay Fenello <Jay@pdnha.org>, Ronda Hauben <email@example.com>, Karl Auerbach <firstname.lastname@example.org>, Becky Burr <email@example.com>, Larry Irving <firstname.lastname@example.org>, Gordon Cook <email@example.com>, Tony Rutkowski <firstname.lastname@example.org>, Tom Lowenhaupt <email@example.com>, IFWP <firstname.lastname@example.org>, Nick Patience <email@example.com>, Jeri Clausing <firstname.lastname@example.org>, "U.S. Ho. of Reps. Commerce Committee" <email@example.com>, "U.S. Secretary of State" <firstname.lastname@example.org>, Milton Mueller <email@example.com>, Ellen Rony <firstname.lastname@example.org>, Ronald Wyden <email@example.com>, Jonathan Zittrain <firstname.lastname@example.org>, Larry Lessig <lessig@POBOX.COM>, Shari Steele <email@example.com>, Troy Davis <firstname.lastname@example.org>, Erick Iriarte <email@example.com>, Eberhard W Lisse <firstname.lastname@example.org>, Willie Schatz <email@example.com>, "Kevin M. Kelly" <Webmaster@BioAnth.org>, "Hector L. Rodriguez Milla" <firstname.lastname@example.org>, SLanfranco@dkglobal.org, Jeff Graber <email@example.com>, Becky Burr <firstname.lastname@example.org>
- References: <3723366B.567C6895@iciiu.org> <37271F82.BFE78F3D@iciiu.org> <372E6AAD.8490DEF4@iciiu.org> <372E753B.312003C7@iciiu.org> <372E75C7.ED4D5E7@iciiu.org> <372E76B1.email@example.com> <372E76E6.C5F6CAE5@iciiu.org> <372F2939.23AABBFD@iciiu.org>
I believe it is incumbent on you to announce before the event how
you mean to handle the formation of debated constituencies in Berlin
so as to reassure everyone that the procedures will not be
manipulated depending on circumstances. For example: Will messages
of support be counted, or will you be giving the DNSO constituencies
to those who have brought to Berlin the most supporters? If you
don't announce these rules beforehand, people there might imagine
that you made the rules up on the spot as a response to the balance
of power in the constituency meetings on the 25th.
Other questions, no less urgent, need to be addressed by you:
Will there be voting?
How will you handle all the disaffected people, from the NCDNHC, the
Trademark Constituency, the ccTLD Constituency, and the others? Are
you going to put them out of the DNSO? Create a constituency for the
"losers"? Tell them to swear allegiance to their enemies?
What are you going to tell all the individuals who come to Berlin
but can't find any constituency to join, since you have created none
for individuals? Ask them politely to go home? Tell them to wait
until next year when the At-large membership may have gotten formed?
Thanks for a prompt reply to these important questions, which must
be on everyone's mind and need to be answered before Berlin, at
least as to the methods you plan to use there to resolve them, so
that the meetings don't turn into resentment and chaos.
"The course of the past has impressed us with the firm
conviction that no good ever comes of falsehood, and we
feel warranted in refusing even to experiment in that
-- Thomas Henry Huxley
International Congress of Independent Internet Users (ICIIU)